We love to share a meal with others. Tonight we were preparing a lobster dinner (yes, another one) in appreciation for a special family who has been particularly supportive in our ministry. I wanted something light and cool to finish the meal. A frozen lemon dessert fit that bill and seemed like an appropriate happy ending.
I found this recipe for Individual Frozen Key Lime Pies at This Silly Girl’s Kitchen in my Pinterest adventures. I adapted it somewhat to suit my preferences. It was simple and refreshing and pretty, too.
The ingredients were few and the process was quick and easy.
Mini Frozen Lemon Pies
- Whip about a pint of whipping cream (sorry…I had a carton I’d already started so I’m not positive on the exact amount. Her recipe calls for an 8 oz. tub of frozen whipped topping…so 3 cups whipped, which means 1-1/2 cups cream, but I went ahead and made extra for garnishing), sweetened with 1/4 cup of icing sugar and a bit of vanilla.
- Mix one can of sweetened condensed milk with 8 ounces of softened cream cheese till smooth.
Mix in the zest of one lemon (I think I will zest 2 lemons next time) and 3/4 cup of lemon juice (fresh or bottled).
- Fold in the whipped cream.
- Spoon into individual silicone cups (mine are ancient, but you can find similar ones here) about 3/4 full. Make sure you leave a little in the bowl to sample.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of butter, add about 1-1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs (again I used up my box) and 1/4 cup of icing sugar.
- Top the cream cheese mixture with the graham cracker mixture.
- Freeze on a cookie sheet for about 4 hours.
- Place upside down on a dessert plate and remove silicone cup.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a lemon slice, if you wish.
If you’d prefer to make it simpler, you could just line a pie plate with a graham cracker crust, and fill it with the lemon mixture topped with whipped cream. I like the individual pies. And now I have some extra in my freezer for drop-in guests!
I’d like to share a couple of my favourite kitchen gadgets that I used in preparing this recipe:
My Love bought me these tools when he and my cb girl took a cooking class at Dish Cooking Studio. This was a few years ago for a daddy-daughter date. He’s the best daddy ever. (Side note: He also took me there on a date…I think he found he rather enjoys cooking with his girls!) He used these gadgets at the class and thought I should have them at home. The lemon press is a must if you use a lot of fresh lemon juice. It’s perfect for salad dressing, cooking and baking. The microplane is amazing for zesting, for garlic, chocolate, nutmeg, and I’m sure for many other uses, as well.
You just might want to invest in these handy devices. And you definitely want to make this dessert!
Find these handy tools at amazon.com:
Hey! I’m join me at the party here:
Merry Monday #202 at Inside the Fox Den
Talk of the Town #122 at Hunt and Host
Home Matters #184 at Life with Lorelai
Clever Chicks #237 at The Chicken Chick
What To Do Weekends #279 at Crafts a la mode
Inspiration Spotlight #299 at Dear Creatives